Rolling exterior shutters are viewed by many in Florida as the ultimate solution for both home protection and convenience. They offer Florida homeowners storm protection and security protection. They offer other benefits as well, which we will cover in this guide. Whether you are looking at rolling exterior shutters as hurricane shutters or security reasons you will not be disappointed. We’ll discuss what they are, what they can be used for, how much they cost, and their pros and cons.
Exterior Rolling Shutters: what are they?
Rolling exterior shutters have many names. You may hear them referred to as roll down hurricane shutters, rolling window shutters, rolling security shutters, retractable shutters, etc.
Exterior rolling shutters are aluminum shutters that are installed on the exterior of your home. They open and close by rolling up and down. You can easily open and close them using a crank (manual versions) or a switch or mobile app (for automatic versions).
When open the slats of the shutter retract and are cleanly stored out of sight in a housing above each window or door. If you opt for an automatic model (we talk about electric versions below) the electric motors are also contained in this housing as well.
When closed and secured in place the shutters completely cover the outside of your windows and doors. This creates an almost impenetrable shield for your windows and doors. This is what makes them so effective for protection against both nasty storms and burglars.
Electric rolling shutters for windows and more
You can save a few bucks by going with manual rolling shutters. They are easy to open and close, but do require you to manually deploy and open each shutter.
You can opt for Electric outdoor shutters (automatic shutters) if you want the ultimate in ease of use and convenience. These are exterior rolling shutters with electric motors control them. In other words, the electric motors do all the work for you. And in case you lose your power they have a manual backup or the option to install a backup power supply to them.
Electric rolling shutters can be wired to a single switch control. This allows you to control all your shutters with a single control. You can also control them through a mobile app, such as the TaHomA System APP: A Eurex Shutters Exclusive.
Uses: what they can be used for
Rolling shutters have several uses for Florida homeowners. These include:
- Storm protection – Rolling exterior shutters meet the current Florida Building Code and are rated for up to a category 5 hurricane. They are impact resistant so they can take the force of hurricane wind gusts and flying debris. They really can take a serious beating, which means your home and family will be protected regardless of how tough the storm is.
- Security protection – They are great for increasing the security of your home for the same reasons they are great for storm protection. The shutters completely eliminate access to your windows and doors. And they are impact resistant. So burglars can’t reach your windows or doors. This makes them an excellent deterrent for burglars. They are commonly used as security shutters for both residential (homes) and commercial (storefronts and businesses) applications.
Cost: how much Rolling Exterior Shutters cost
The cost of Exterior roll down shutters vary widely based on the options you select. For standard roll down shutters you can expect to pay about $30 – $35/SQFT. But please note: Electric (automatic) roll down shutters have additional costs for motors and electrical work not included in the pricing above. Prices have also been changing quite a bit due to external conditions, such as material shortages, raw material costs and inflation. For actual pricing please request a free consultation.
Learn more about: Hurricane Shutters Cost: 2022 Pricing Guide
Pros and cons
Rolling exterior shutters have many benefits. They also have some considerations. We discuss both below.
- Very high-level of storm protection
- Highly effective for security protection
- Extremely quick and easy to deploy
- High functionality/uses for energy savings, light control and sound reduction
- Sleek design doesn’t significantly change the appearance of your home
- Available in a variety of colors
- Cleaning can take some effort due to the large number of slats
- Maintenance required – like most things with motors and moving parts, automatic rolling shutters require maintenance
- Cost – they are a premium shutters with a lot of functionality so they have a higher cost
Read our much more in-depth article on Roll Up Hurricane Shutters: Pros & Cons For Your FL Home
Rolling exterior shutters are exterior shutters that retract (roll) up and down to completely cover your windows and doors. They are very effective for both storm and security protection. They are also extremely easy to use regardless of if you choose the manual or electric version.
If you have questions or want an estimate please give us a call or fill out our quick form below. We have been installing rolling shutters in Southwest Florida since 1986. Give us a try if you want high quality shutters, impeccable installations and great service.