What category of hurricane needs hurricane shutters? This is one question we get a lot from our customers in Southwest Florida. It is one topic a lot of individuals are unsure about, especially if you are new to Southwest Florida or have never has to use shutters before. We answer this question here so you have all the information you need to prepare your home or business.
You should close or install your hurricane shutters whenever there is even the threat of a tropical storm.
Yes. We recommend you install your hurricane shutters even for a tropical storm.
The reason? Even with a tropical storm there is the possibility of higher wind gusts. It also brings about a higher chance of occurrences like tornadoes. These wind gusts present a big concern. This is because they can send send flying debris into your windows, doors, patios, lanais, etc. Flying debris have the potential to cause damage to you home. When this damage happens there is a potential allow outside elements such as wind, rain, etc. inside your home.
According to the National Weather Service a tropical storm is a storm in which the maximum sustained surface winds range from 39 – 73 MPH. At these speeds wind can start to cause problems.
The National Severe Storms Laboratory states that winds in this range can cause branches and limbs to break from trees (at 39 to 46 MPH), light structural damage (at 47 to 54 MPH), trees to be uprooted (at 55 to 63 MPH), and widespread structural damage (at 64 MPH and above).
So during a tropical storm there is a high potential that flying objects may hit our windows, doors, patios, etc. In turn, we recommend to our customers and community to be safe and put your hurricane shutters up even for a tropical storm.
Looking for more info to prepare your home or business for the storm? Check these articles out:
Plan accordingly, find out when you should plan to put up your hurricane shutters and how long it will take.
New to storm shutters? Find out 8 critical things you need to know about hurricane shutters.
- What Colors do Accordion Shutters Come in?So you are considering buying accordion shutters for your home, condo, or office in Southwest Florida? Great choice! One of the options you will have when designing your accordion shutter system is what color accordions you want to install.…
- Negatives of Hurricane Shutters? Consider These When ShoppingHurricane protection is a must in the sunshine state and other coastal areas prone to hurricanes. Different hurricane shutters offer different levels of storm protection, ease of use, curb appeal, and functionality. But even though they are a popular…
- The Importance of Hurricane Shutters for Florida HomesLiving in coastal Florida requires you to be prepared for hurricanes and extreme weather. Hurricane season in Florida happens each and every year. And while you may not be affected by a hurricane every year it is important to…
- Roll Shutters Hurricane Protection: Ultimate GuideIf you live in an area where hurricanes are common then you know the importance of hurricane protection. It is critical to protect your family and home from the intense winds, flying debris, and other elements during a hurricane.…
- Hurricane Shutters For Lanai: What Are My Options?Contact us using the form below or call us at (239) 369-8600 for a free consultation and estimate to get started.